I just checked out Montreal’s Plants & Animals this weekend at the Wolfe Island Music Festival and couldn’t have been more pleased. A bit Wolf Parade, a bit Apostle of Hustle, but undeniably their own, Plants & Animals is definitely becoming one of Canada’s indie bands to watch. They released their debut album on Secret City Records this February, which was announced in July as one of the contenders for Canada’s Polaris Music Prize.
The winner of Polaris will be announced on September 29. The 2008 shortlist is as follows:
- Basia Bulat, Oh, My Darling
- Black Mountain, In the Future
- Caribou, Andorra
- Kathleen Edwards, Asking for Flowers
- Holy Fuck, LP
- Plants & Animals, Parc Avenue
- Shad, The Old Prince
- Stars, In Our Bedroom After the War
- Two Hours Traffic, Little Jabs
- The Weakerthans, Reunion Tour
I’m rooting for Two Hours Traffic because they’re pretty much my favourite Canadian band right now, their album rules, and they’re the underdog. Any other favourites?